I sheepishly took a day off work last week, amid all the stress of PhD stuff, to make a submission to a competition to win 2 Big Day Out tickets. My big brother has been keen to go, and I decided to help him out in his endeavour to win tickets and submit an entry too. I don't normally enter competitions unless I have some control over my fate, like a competition to make something or come up with an idea or something like that. But I had a bit of a winning feeling with this one.
The competition was to redesign an album cover for a band to be featured at this year's Big Day Out. After a few hours of toying with different ideas, I decided to read a few blogs, look at my own blog and spotted my very own Terry the Tarantula tutorial. It was too easy from then on. I decided to work with Pendulum's 'Tarantula' and stretch the idea of an "album cover". Here's the result:
The base of the spider opens out to where the CD is contained , with album information on the inside. The base of the spider is fastened closed at one end with a button. I made a cardboard CD, with the spider print - inspired by Rorschach ink blots - made by blowing black ink around a piece of paper with a straw (I learned that trick from Play School when I was a child!).
Yesterday I got a call from the Herald Sun telling me that I'd not only won two Big Day Out tickets, but that I'd won the major prize, which includes a box of CDs as well. Far out, brussle sprout! Needless to say my brother was absolutely stoked!