Monday 4 May 2009

Nude and native gardening

On Saturday, May 2nd, it was 'World Naked Gardening Day'. I missed it. It would have been good weather for gardening in the nuddy in these parts, but somehow I don't think my family or neighbours would have appreciated it. They have 'days' for everything these days!

However, I was in a garden. I visited the Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne. I'd never been there before and I was seriously impressed. We visited their Australian Garden, which features a variety of examples of native Australian gardens, as well as examples of plants from all different native habitats. I really liked their visual representation of different native gardens and how much water they need: 6 big red watering cans for a low-water garden, 10 yellow watering cans for a moderately watered garden and 14 cans for a water intensive native garden. One of the highlights was getting to see the Sturt Dessert Pea in bloom:


Photo courtesy of RGB Australian Garden blog

They have a display creek bed there as well, with a section where you are invited to take your shoes off and go for a paddle. There was a father there with his two young boys, and one of them was in awe: "Are you sure we're allowed to play in the water, dad?". A sign of the times: playing in water is such a rare and special treat these days.

4 comments:

Taccolina said...

What a super day out. I've been meaning to go there, and if the Sturt peas are out, I ought to! Sounds fantastic.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Those Desert Peas are just gorgeous!

Kate Moore said...

I'm in Canberra today - meeting a friend at 10am and then off to play in the galleries. Have been tossing up whether to go to the gardens here. It's so dry at the moment and so little time (more if I get off internet but I've had to check emails). I do like to see the gardens though.
Thanks for the op shop comments. I agree about the sizing. Very handy. Also lets you try things on you might not in a normal store. A bit like a big dress up box.

Jessica Lonard (The Crafty Librarian) said...

My nanna went to that garden and talked it up for WEEKS! I have been meaning to go there when I'm down in Melbourne.