Sunday 5 July 2009

Dietary complications

Every couple of months I catch up with a bunch of friends I went to uni with in undergrad. We take turns at hosting dinner and everyone contributes something to the meal. We have a diabetic celiac, two vegetarians, one who is pregnant with borderline gestational diabetes, and another with egg and nut allergies, so our food has to cover all bases:
  • Gluten free
  • Low GI
  • Nut free
  • Egg free
  • Meat free
  • Alcohol free
  • Caffeine free
  • No deli meats or pre-made salads
  • No uncooked soft cheeses
We are all quite adventurous and I am astounded at the variety and tastiness of the food we all bring to the table. It's my turn to host tomorrow, and it's my turn to make dessert. I'll be making a gluten free chocolate and raspberry baked ricotta cake and a nut free and diabetic friendly version of this gluten free apple crumble. Hopefully I'll get some good photos, so I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not just because it fits all your requirements, but also because it tastes amazing - give this recipe a go.

http://lara.nettle.org/blog/2008/07/17/janes-brazilian-buddhist-retreat-lentil-soup

Super easy to make, only 4 ingredients (if you make the simple version without garlic and garnishes as I often do), and tastes simply amazing.

Unknown said...

Oh - and it's vegan too :)

Melanie said...

with all of the food allegies/sensativities and requirements I am glad I dont entertain any more. Where I work we have gluten free but with a lot of gluten free or lactose free the soy content is high and soy is my nemesis.... Its in everything:( Arent you glad I am not coming to lunch lol