Sunday 14 March 2010

Chilling out with kiwi fruit sorbet

Last weekend I had a bowl of kiwi fruits just sitting around looking unloved. So before they went to inedible mush, I mashed them up and converted them into a delicious, fizzy sorbet. This was the day before the ridiculous hail storm we had in Melbourne, in which we personally experienced golf ball sized chunks of hail. It was quite scary.

> golf ball sized chunks of hail. Crazy!

I kind of made it up as I went along, with a basic sugar syrup and some lime and cointreau to give it a lift. The cointreau also helps to keep it slightly soft to make it easy to serve. I reckon limoncello would go very well too. The key to making sorbet is breaking up all the little ice crystals so it's all smooth. I don't have an ice cream maker, but I do have a stab mixer that blends ice.

How I make delicious Kiwi Fruit Sorbet without an ice cream machine

8 kiwi fruit
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp cointreau
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch salt

  1. Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, bring to the boil for 1 minute, then set aside until cool.
  2. Peel kiwi fruit, blend in a food processor until they are an even slushy consistency.
  3. Add cointreau, lime juice, salt and syrup, process until smooth.
  4. Transfer into a container (I used an old ice cream container) and place into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
  5. Using a stab mixer, blend up your frozen kiwi fruit puree until all the ice crystals are broken up. Smooth over, re-freeze for another 1-2 hours (or overnight, as I did) and blend once more.
  6. Allow to refreeze, and eat when desired.
I'd recommend consuming this within a week. Although eating it all in that space of time should not be a problem, I'd say!


2 comments:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

This sounds delicious!

Susan said...

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks. Enjoy the power to create and control people in a virtual world where there are no rules with The Sims 4 – On Xbox One, PS4 and PC sims 4 news.