Saturday 18 April 2009

Marvellous meatballs!

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden,
And under a bush,
And then my poor meatball,
Was nothing but mush.


Hehehe oohhh my childhood! I remember there was a little video clip that used to be played on the ABC, but alas YouTube doesn't have it. Anyway...

...as you've probably gathered if you've checked out my profile, or have been hanging out at this blog for any period of time, I'm a vegetarian. However, just because I don't eat meat myself doesn't mean I'm not prepared to cook it for my friends when they come to visit. I used to cook these meatballs up all the time before I became vegetarian, and are something I can cook without needing to taste. I think this will be the first meaty recipe post ever for this blog! These are great for starters, served with some fresh pita, hommus and tzaziki.


Meatballs

500 g rump steak mince
1 egg
1 slice fresh bread, crumbled finely
1/2 cup chopped bacon (optional)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Pinch nutmeg
Pepper
Salt

Sage, basil, rosemary
1/2 cup stock
60 ml orange juice

Place mince, bacon, bread, garlic, spices and S&P in a food processor
Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball
Roll in flour and reserved spices
Fry in oil with herbs. When browned, add the stock and orange juice
Simmer until liquid is absorbed (or place them in a pan in the oven). Serve hot.

My other favourite way of making meatballs is to boil them up first (they're done when they float to the surface) which cooks some of the fat out of them, and then bake them to crisp them up. Very light tasting but flavoursome meatballs.



Because it's hard to get a good photo of meatballs to make them look appetising, I used a photo from here

1 comment:

Melanie said...

yummo. I will copy this and give it a go.