Wednesday 21 May 2008

Gray's Anatomy -- in bread!

Quick! If you've got a weak stomach, stop reading now!

My dear friend linked me this the other day, knowing only too well my passion for both food and the biological sciences, particularly anatomy/physiology (the field in which I work). I have never been game enough to combine these two interests - I don't think my friends and family would like me for it if I did! - however a fine art student from Thailand, Kittiwat Unarrom clearly has more guts than me (heehee, had to throw that in) and bakes bread in the form of dismembered body parts.
"Inspired and informed by anatomy book and visits to forensic museums, he makes sure that none of your various body part bread desires go unfulfilled: he also makes feet, hands, and internal organs which come displayed impaled on hooks. Made from dough, raisins, cashew nuts, and chocolate, all of the works on display are totally edible."
Even if you're unlike me and anatomy isn't your thing, the level of detail in his work from such simple ingredients is just amazing. But what I really appreciate here is the combination of fine art, science and food. This gets a big gold star from me!

No comments: