60 g butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
Extra 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan forced) or 200C for conventional oven. Grease the muffin pans.
- Cut the oranges into quarters and peel the skin away. Chop the oranges coarsely and mash a bit with a fork. Place the oranges in a sieve to collect about 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine the orange pulp, eggs, butter and sugar.
- Combine the flour and ginger. Stir into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pans and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the orange juice and remaining sugar in a saucepan, bring to the boil for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Set aside.
- Remove muffins from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Place them on a wire rack to cool. As they are cooling, place a sheet of aluminium foil under the rack (for easy cleaning) and brush the top of the muffins with the orange syrup.