Wednesday 16 July 2008

Recent low GI dinners

Low GI Dinner #1 - Bean and corn burritos

Gib and I are currently "minding" his dad while Gib's mum is away overseas. His dad was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago (his nickname is now "GI John"), and we're trying to keep him on the straight and narrow in Gib's mum's absence! So far so good. I tried out a recipe from my new 'Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook' that I was given recently. Of course, I can't resist changing a recipe, even one that I've never tried before (often because I prefer use what I have in the fridge instead of going out of my way to match a recipe). It was a quick and easy weekend meal. Below is my recipe (adapted from the bean and corn burrito recipe, p. 95).

Bean and corn mix (serves 4 - 6)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 spanish onion, sliced (using my mandolin! yeah!)
  • 3 cloves of garlic (we love garlic -- sorry!!)
  • 3 fresh corn cobs, kernels removed
  • 1 red capsicum, cut into chunks
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp hot paprika
  • 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
  • Jalepino peppers, to taste (I used about a handful of sliced jalepinos)
  • 4 fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
  • 400 g tin red kidney beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
Other stuff
  • Avocado, sliced
  • Baby spinach, washed thoroughly
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat cheese
  • Wholemeal tortillas

Heat the oil in a large pan, fry the garlic on moderate heat for about 30 seconds. Add the onion, corn and capsicum, cook for ~5 mins. Add the spices, cook until fragrant (~1 min).

Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato past and stock. Simmer for 10 mins.

If your tortillas are a bit stiff and look like they're going to tear, heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds, with a damp paper towel placed between each tortilla. Pile the tortillas with bean and corn mix, sliced avocado, baby spinach and cheese and fold up the burrito.



Low GI Dinner #2 - Silverbeet and mushroom quiche

This one was adapted from this recipe, but it was more like a quiche than a pie. Very tasty, has been making for a great lunch. I served this with a side of roasted vegetabb,\
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 2 onions, finely sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 500g mushrooms (I had fresh swiss brown and shiitake on hand)
  • 1 bunch silverbeet, washed thoroughly and roughly chopped
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • Salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 eggs
  • 300g silken tofu, mashed (you could use ricotta, but if you want a low fat protein boost, Japanese silken tofu is the way to go)
  • 1/2 cup grated reduced fat tasty cheese
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic, saute for 30 seconds before adding the onion. Cook for ~5 mins or until soft. Add the mushrooms and saute for another 3-4 mins. Add the silverbeet, nutmeg and season, stir through and cover the saucepan and cook until the silverbeet wilts (~3-5 mins). Remove from the heat, stir through again and drain any excess moisture.

Transfer the silverbeet mixture into a large 6 cup capacity pyrex casserole dish (or whatever you have). Whisk the eggs and tofu together, season with salt and pepper and stir through the grated cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the silverbeet mixture and the egg mixture through the silverbeet.
Bake the pie for 40 mins or until golden and set. I cheated because I was in a hurry so I started it off in the microwave for 7 minutse before placing it back in the oven. It took about 10 mins off the cooking time. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.

2 comments:

CurlyPops said...

hehehe, isn't it funny how at a certain stage in life, everything turns upside down and now parents need babysitting to keep them on the straight and narrow!

Jenaveve said...

GI John - love it!

Hey great recipes... and I reckon if I tried the second one and used tofu without M knowing, I bet he wouldn't even know it was in there! Yes, another food challenge I've yet to try on him. Also the reason why I have NEVER cooked with tofu at home, so should be interesting... let me know if there are any tricks to using it.

PS - I did make a chickpea dish weeks ago, I just forgot to post it! Coming soon (and it was really good too).