Friday 12 February 2010

Red Onion Relish and Orange curd

Gib is working tomorrow morning, so I think I'll get stuck into the kitchen and do some preserving. I have made red onion relish before, but I think I'd like to try a new version. I'm typing it up here so I can go straight here without having to remember where I put my written out version, which I always lose.

Caramelised Red Onion Relish


3-4 tbsp olive oil
12 red onions, sliced in the food processor
5-6 cloves garlic, crushed
330 ml white vinegar
330 ml apple cider vinegar
330 ml red wine vinegar (or even just red wine is fine)
3-4 cups brown sugar
2-3 bay leaves
~20 crushed black peppercorns
Grated zest of 3 oranges

Heat the oil a large, heavy based pan. Add onions, cook until starting to soften a little. Add garlic, cook for a further 1-2 mins.

Add brown sugar, cook 1-2 mins, then pour in the vinegars, bay leaves, pepper corns and orange zest. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce to low heat for about 2 hours until well caramelised.

Transfer mixture to small, sterilised 250 ml jars, until mixture reaches 1cm from the top of the rim. Boil in a water bath for 15-20 mins


I have a habit of getting oranges for the orange zest, but never knowing what to do with the rest of the orange (apart from just eating it). Well this time I'm prepared: I'm going to make...!

Orange curd

  • 4 eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
  • 170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
  • 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
  • 185ml (3/4 cup) fresh orange juice
  • 125g butter, chilled, cubed
Lightly whisk the eggs in a medium saucepan until pale. Add the orange zest and juice, caster sugar and butter. Place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk the mixture continuously for about 7-8 minutes until thickened. It will continue to thicken upon resting.

Can be frozen for up to 3 months.



Ok. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Can't wait!


Edit: I think I'll use only 2 cups of sugar in the red onion relish next time! (18/2/10)

No comments: