Friday 22 August 2008

Colcannon comfort

It's Friday and time to use up some leftovers before the weekend. I had half a savoy cabbage in the fridge, some leftover spring onion that had been chopped but not used, a head of broccoli and some potatoes. That means one thing: colcannon. I cooked it up this morning so I could store it in the freezer for later.

I should note that until about a year ago, I hated cabbage. I could not think of a more vile vegetable. I think it was because when I was growing up, a prerequisite for having an Australian BBQ was coleslaw. Raw cabbage and Praise Mayonnaise -- or worse, the pre-packaged stuff you pick up from Woolies. I'm shuddering at the thought of it now (maybe it has improved since I was a child... I'm open to new coleslaw recipes!). Then I discovered okonomiyaki and was blown away at how good a cabbage pancake could taste (finely shredded is the key). I had heard of colcannon, but it's only something that has recently become a favourite. Cheap, easy, warm and comforting in winter.

I based this recipe mostly on Maggie and Simon's recipe for ingredients and method, but I also borrowed from Moosewood's recipe as well, which includes broccoli and a sprinkling of cheese. So here is my adaptation:

Beth's cosy colcannon creation

Serves 4-6
Can be frozen for up to 6 weeks.

1/3 savoy cabbage, finely shredded
600 g pontiac potatoes, peeled (low GI!)
1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
100 ml low fat milk
60g butter
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 cup low fat tasty cheese
Salt and pepper

  • Boil (or microwave) potatoes until tender but not falling apart. If boiling, drain, then allow to rest in the open to dry.
  • Steam cabbage for 3 minutes, until soft, but not totally soggy
  • Steam broccoli for 4-5 mins until soft, but not soggy, colorless and flavourless (which was my mother's way of cooking them!)
  • Warm butter and milk in a pan or on a low setting in the microwave. Set aside.
  • Combine potato, cabbage, broccoli, butter, milk and S&P in a large bowl.
  • Transfer to a rectangular baking dish, smooth out. Sprinkle with spring onion and cheese. Grill until the cheese is bubbly and golden.


I usually serve this as a side dish with other chunky roasted vegetables (carrot, pumpkin etc), however it makes an excellent accompaniment for meat or sausages.

4 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I've never heard of that but it's a great idea for a dinner party....I love things that can be whipped out of the oven and placed in the middle for people to serve themselves.

Kate Moore said...

Looks delicious. I have a red cabbage in the fridge that needs to be used this weekend, or chucked. I think this would be great.

Liesl said...

Yummo and hoorah for Maggie and Simon. They are stars.

I really like the look of your adaptation. I'm going to give it a go ... I think I should be able to sufficiently disguise the veggies and give it to the kids!

straykat said...

yum yum