Saturday 2 August 2008

My what's-in-the-fridge Friday night dinner

Every Friday I get a box full of veggies delivered to my door, so on Thursdays and Fridays I try to make sure all of my veggies are used up for the following week, even if it makes cooking up two meals one night and freezing one for lunches or emergency meals later.

Last night I pulled out one of my favourite recipe books, Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, and happened to open to recipe that had everything I had in the fridge. It's a Spanish stew called Mole de Olla (Mole meaning "mixture" and Olla being large clay pot). It was simple, wholesome, comforting and delcious. I have seen other recipes for this that have included chicken or beef too.

I made the stew as per the recipe so I wont publish it here (it's on page 465 of the Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant book!), but it included onino, garlic, chilis, cinnamon, cloves, potatoes, tinned tomatoes, fresh green beans, zucchini, fresh corn off the cob, left to stew for about an hour and topped with cheddar cheese to serve.


My idea of a perfect winter meal: a bowl of hearty stew topped with tasty cheese

3 comments:

Jenaveve said...

Gotta say, it looks incredibly YUM!

I have an award for you on my blog; check it out when you can. It's a fun one.

Liesl said...

That looks really yummy. I'm very impressed with what you had in the fridge!!

CurlyPops said...

Yum....I do a similar thing when it's time for our next fruit and veg delivery. I haul out anything left in the fridge and try to combine it all into a suprise dinner.....sometimes it's very suprising indeed!