Sunday 10 August 2008

This is... a work in progress

This weekend I've completed some works-in-progress, so they're not really works in progress any more... I'll post more about them later.

But my biggest work in progress right now is the apron I need to make for the Autumn Sassy Apron Swap. It's not even a work in progress yet, more like a concept in progress. I have a pattern for the apron, but it's just the fabric I'm struggling with. I have to make a pot holder too, but that will be easy peasy once I get the fabric problem sorted. I have both a Lincraft and a Spotlight within spitting distance of me but their fabrics are just totally uninspiring. No nice colours. Dull. Boring. Poor quality.

With my new book on hand, I've even contemplated printing my own autumn designs onto fabric.

How pretty! A leaf print from Onegirl

A leaf-shaped potato print by subbloke

Or stenciling.

Way too complicated for what I'm doing, but still inspirational. By Jen Spragia.

Or even embroidering (something which I haven't practiced for about 5 years)!

Tree embroidery by apple apple

Maybe I need another trip to Patchwork on Central Park. Or I could make my own fabric. I had the idea of playing with those make-your-own iron-on transfers.

But I'm getting a little desperate. I have two weeks to find fabric/design inspiration! I think I might be spending the next couple of weeks doing little test runs of things, playing with ideas. Always fun to pass the time (what little of it I have right now!).

Thank you to Kept in a Jar for this week's 'This is' theme and to Angela for hosting This is!

8 comments:

Liesl said...

Good luck with finding your fabric for the apron swap. The print book looks fab. I have my apron fabric (but only as of yesterday), but am still trying to work out what to do with it. There isn't a whole lot of time left!

CurlyPops said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Anonymous said...

Gosh all your ideas look amazing I really love them all, so am no help at all :D

Love your blog - I'll be back againX

Moiface said...

Planning is always half the fun so enjoy :o).

Bird Bath said...

printing sounds like fun....have you ever thought of getting fabric inspiration at an op-shop? Some good stuff out there.

Gina said...

Love the leaf and spud printing..best of luck with your design! :D
p.s the bento pieces are sooo cute and love your apple coasters!

Sarah said...

Oh these look SO NICE. Very clever. YOu have me keen to learn screen printing at our local Adult Education Class.

Office Desks Brisbane said...

I have just discovered this site and I just would like to give a huge two thumbs up for the great information you have here. I'll be stopping by to your website for more soon.
Thanks Dave