Sunday 24 August 2008

Pot holder attempt = success!

For the apron swap, I have to make a pot holder. I have never made one of these before and thought I'd try making some in advance: don't want to be caught at the last minute and . For the insulation, I used one layer of Insul-Bright heat resistant batting and one layer of wool. I followed the directions in Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing book. It was very quick and simple to do! I think I'll attempt an oven mitt next.

Too easy!

Edit: Hoppo Bumpo asked about where to buy Insul-Bright insultated batting. This product was a pain to find, as was wool batting and any other non-flammable insulating products that would be suitable for making oven mitts, pot holders and the like. I have actually come to believe that such products do not exist in Melbourne - at all. What do all of the women in the CFA make their pot holders out of??! In the end I bought it online from Quilting Fabric Delights, but it looks like they no longer stock it either. Autumn threads was the only other place I looked for it as they were reasonably priced too.

4 comments:

Liesl said...

Great potholders! I'm about to cut mine for the apron swap.

Can I ask a huge favour? Where do you find Insul-Bright? I have been scouring Spotlight. Lincraft and quilting shops without any success. The best I have been able to come up with is Warm & Safe batting (the stuff that won't asphyxiate the wearer with dangerous fumes if it catches alight!).

Alexis said...

Those look great! I'll have to try them--quick and simple is just the right speed for me!

Jenaveve said...

The old 'Insul-Bright' saga hey. I was all about to try this Lotta pattern but gave up trying to find this stuff... I would still love to give it a go though and I think your turned out brilliantly! It is a great way to use up those smaller bits of fabric. Thanks for the link to Autumn Threads - I'll be checking it out.

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

Ooh these look fantastic!